• Hanna Worliczek
  • Stefan Gawronski
  • Thomas Erslev
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by admin. Reason: typo

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #171 by Susanne Schmidt
Replied by Susanne Schmidt on topic A few words about myself
I'm a PhD candidate in the Cambridge Department of History and Philosophy of Science. I study the history of the midlife crisis, gender and social science in the United States, 1970–90. I'm a fellow of the German National Academic Foundation (Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes) and the Arts and Humanities Research Council and a Kurt Hahn Scholar. In the past two years, I was a Visiting Predoctoral Fellow at the Max Planck Institute for the History of Science (summer 2016) and a Visiting Fellow at the Department of the History of Science, Harvard University (2015/16). For more on me, see here . Looking forward to seeing you in Ischia!
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Susanne Schmidt.

More
6 years 9 months ago #173 by Sophie Greenway
Replied by Sophie Greenway on topic A few words about myself
I am Sophie Greenway. I am a PhD student at the Centre for the History of Medicine, University of Warwick. My working title is 'Growing Well: Dirt, health and domestic horticulture in Britain, 1930-70'. I look at intersections of ideas around health in terms both of the hygienic domestic space, and vegetables as a source of vitamins. I am interested particularly in the ways in which gender defined domestic space, indoor and outdoor, and the ways in which this impacted upon the likelihood that people would grow their own vegetables, a practice which necessitates sustained contact with 'dirty' soil. I am therefore interested in the 'Cycles of life' topic both in terms of human awareness of the seasons during the twentieth century, and of the cycles of food, waste and nutrients that can take place within the domestic realm.
I am a part time student, currently due to complete in 2019.

More
6 years 9 months ago #174 by Laurel Waycott
Replied by Laurel Waycott on topic Ischia 2017 Students
Hello! I am a 5th year PhD candidate at Yale in history of science and medicine. My background is in art history and material culture, and my dissertation examines how biological thinking interacted with conceptions of ornament and pattern at the turn of the 20th century. I'm particularly interested in how concepts of evolution were applied to art forms, both western and non-western, and how ideas from the decorative world shaped early understanding of scientifically meaningful "patterns" in the sciences. Anthropologists in the late 19th century were keen to understand the "life-cycles" of decorative motifs, so I am very much looking forward to exploring this topic with my fellow students and faculty!

More
6 years 9 months ago #176 by Nina Kranke
Replied by Nina Kranke on topic Ischia 2017 Students
Hi everyone! My name is Nina and I am a PhD student at the Philosophy Department of the WWU Münster in Germany. I am a member of the DFG Research Training Group EvoPAD (Evolutionary Processes in Adaptation and Disease) www.uni-muenster.de/EvoPAD/index.html . Being a part of this interdisciplinary project gives me the great opportunity to work closely with biologists. My project is about forms of explanation in evolutionary biology and I am particularly interested in explanations of host-parasite coevolution, experimental evolution, and evolutionary medicine. I look forward to meeting you soon!

More
6 years 9 months ago #177 by Thibaut Serviant-Fine
Replied by Thibaut Serviant-Fine on topic Ischia 2017 Students
Hi all!
My name is Thibaut, I am a research associate at the Centre for the History of Science, Technology and Medicine, University of Manchester, UK, working in the Wellcome Trust-funded project "Managing Multispecies Medicine" led by Rob Kirk. My focus in this project is on the 19th- and 20th-century history of the medicinal leech. I am particularly interested at the moment in the development of leech breeding in the 1840s as a means of supplying a huge medical market, following the massive leech frenzy in 1820s-30S French and British medicine. This investigation sits at an intersection between environmental and medical history, going from the uses of the land up to the clinical encounter of leeches and patients.
My PhD dissertation, defended in 2016 at the University of Lyon, France, looked at the development of a "rational approach" to specific chemotherapy in mid-20th century with the new antimetabolites drugs. [Available here, in French: manchester.academia.edu/ThibautServiantFine ]
I wish to expand part of this research into a broader project on the history of biochemistry and microbiology in the first part of the 20th century. I am particularly interested in the early research on microorganisms' nutrition and metabolism, and how metabolic molecules and pathways came to be understood as similar across species.
Really looking forward to meeting everybody in a few weeks!
All best
Thibaut

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #179 by Barbara Di Gennaro
Replied by Barbara Di Gennaro on topic Ischia 2017 Students
Hello! I am a 4th year PhD candidate at Yale in the history of science and medicine. I am interested in attitudes toward cures, illnesses, and health in early modern Italy. I am working on the history of theriac, the most famous remedy in the history of Western medicine before the nineteenth century.When people took theriac—a compound made by more than seventy mineral, animal and vegetable substances—they were symbolically ingesting all of Creation. At Ischia, I am looking forward to delving into discussions about the broad cycles of production and consumption, life and death in which theriac was embedded.Looking forward to meeting you all!
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Barbara Di Gennaro.

More
6 years 9 months ago #180 by Dániel Bárdos
Replied by Dániel Bárdos on topic Ischia 2017 Students
Hi everyone,

I'm Daniel Bardos, 3rd year PhD student at the Budapest University of Technology. I graduated in philosophy and besides I have background in geology. My main interest is philosophy of biology, particularly questions surrounding paleontology and its development in the second half of the twentieth century. In my thesis I'm focusing on Stephen Jay Gould's theory of punctuated equilibria and its often weird relationship to the evolutionary studies. I examine how Gould used historiography and various rhetorical devices, like visual metaphors to create dichotomies and to frame a debate about evolutionary mechanism in the 70s and 80s. Besides this I'm also interested in the more general philosophical questions about historical natural sciences and done some research in biosemiotics (well, it was mostly the criticism of biosemiotics as a research program) and in the topic of emergence, emergent properties and species selection.

Looking forward to meeting you all soon!
Daniel