Ketil Slagstad intro

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #222 by Ketil S
Ketil Slagstad intro was created by Ketil S
Hi everybody,

My name is Ketil Slagstad, and I´m so much looking forward to the summer school. I´m a trained medical doctor and used to work as an anesthesiologist before I stared working as an editor of a Norwegian medical journal. I started my PhD in May this year, so I´m very new to academia. In my PhD project I´m examining how transsexuality came into being as a medical concept in the 20th century and how sex and gender have been defined through medical practices.

I see at least two connections between my project and the topic of the summer school. First, to get access to gender affirming care patients were sterilised or castrated. In other words, questions of production and reproduction lied at the heart of the practice. Second, the diagnostic procedures and treatment practices were imbued with time in various forms (beginnings, endings, waiting time etc.).

I´m very excited to meet you all very soon.

Ketil
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Ketil S.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #224 by Sara B
Replied by Sara B on topic Ketil Slagstad intro
Dear Ketil,

Your academic history and interests sound extremely cool! I'm interested in hearing about your research on transsexuality in medical practice. I just came back from Exeter UK yesterday after co-convening a conference on "Sex and Nature" that asked similar kinds of questions: rethinkingsexology.exeter.ac.uk/2018/12/...nd-nature-1800-2018/

Looking forward to meeting you!
Sarah

More
4 years 10 months ago #225 by Ketil S
Replied by Ketil S on topic Ketil Slagstad intro
Dear Sarah,

Thank you so much for sharing the link. The program looks amazing. I´m excited to hear more about it.

Looking forward to meeting you too!

Ketil